The Give Back Days scheme is a fantastic opportunity for staff to be supported by the University in actively engaging in local community volunteering. Any University of Lincoln staff member can apply to volunteer for up to 2 days in any 12 month rolling period during work time. (There is a cap of 150 days in total for all staff). For full terms and conditions click here.
We want to make things as simple as possible so below you will find an idea of how the scheme runs:
1. To take part in volunteering through ‘Give Back Days’ you need to be an associate member of the Students Union. To do this go to lincolnsu.com and click on the 'Sign In' tab, at the top right of the screen and sign in using your normal university log-in. (If you are already an Associate member of the University move on to step 2.) If you are not already an Associate member you will be directed to the application page. To register tick the box at the bottom of this page and click on 'Submit', you will then be given an Associate Membership number.
2. You will need to let us know what volunteering you would like to do by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don’t know what you want to do, but you know you want to volunteer then the best place to start is by looking at our current volunteering opportunities. After we have received your email we will get back to you to confirm your volunteering activity.
3. Once your volunteering activity is confirmed you will need to complete a “Leave of Absence” form from the HR section of the Portal and get Line Manager approval for your day(s). Click here to download a leave of absence form.
4. You will also need to record your volunteering hours in a Volunteer log which can be found here. Ask a member of staff at the organisation you are volunteering with to sign the log to confirm your volunteering hours.
5. Once you have completed your volunteering activity we will need to see your volunteering log, which can be scanned to email@example.com or brought in to the Students’ Union so we can verify your hours. You can also record your hours on our website and to do this choose 'My Volunteer Log' from the volunteering drop-down menu.
You can record any other volunteering activities that you have been involved in using My Volunteer Log and you may be eligible to receive a volunteer certificate at the end of the year, depending on the number of volunteering hours you have completed. Certificates are divided as follows:
Bronze:1 to 50 hours. Silver: 51 to 125 hours. Gold: 126 to 249 hours. Platinum: 250+ hours.