School Action Day
Have your say!
Work together to create solutions
Discuss with your peers and staff
Give your feedback and make change
Your voice matters, your course matters
The School Action Day initiative was created to provide students and staff with a space to explore key ideas, issues and areas for improvement by developing solutions together, in a format that is suitable for each School/Department.
The session is inclusive to all staff and students in a School to give feedback on different themes for discussion and working in partnership with School/Course Reps, staff and peers to create positive actions from utilising the student voice.
The Engine Shed, our on-site SU venue.
- To give all students a chance to voice their opinions and talk directly to staff and Reps in a comfortable, informal environment.
- Work with staff to create solutions to enhance the learning experience
- Foster and build a community with other students in an informal setting
But what do I and my School get out by attending a School Action Day?
Most Schools who have taken part in the initiative had separate areas for each theme, and gave students time to give feedback and thoughts on each one before creating “Action Plans” together in how these ideas could be implemented. Some example actions that have come from a School Action Day include:
- Reviewing the organisation of the Blackboard page - including the clarity of Course Reps and how to contact them and Careers information such as upcoming workshops and placement opportunities
- Standardised assessment marking rubric to make feedback more consistent across modules
- Introducing a Buddy System
- Introducing a Social Committee to increase social activities across the School and foster a community
- Introducing a 10% participation mark to encourage participation in lectures/seminars, online forums and Student Engagement activities
Got any questions about your School Action Day? Speak the Academic Opportunities team via: [email protected].
Hear from those who have taken part in a School Action Day before!
“The experience exceeded my expectations. The attendance was fantastic and the views of the students were communicated clearly. I found that students gave much more insightful and impact feedback through this medium compared to the views aired in module evaluations. The event was well-structured and the five topics were distinct, preventing overlap. This is an event all Schools should be doing.”
“I enjoyed the experience. I felt it helped both the lecturers and students to understand one another’s point of views, and why certain things are done the way they are. It also gave us the chance to offer solutions or other ways of doing things that the course leaders hadn’t thought of before and courses/programmes that they may start in the future.”
“I really enjoyed the Action Day, it provided the opportunity to hear the thoughts and opinions of others and to work with staff in the first steps of making a lasting change to our school. I found the event to be organised and well time managed, especially when considering that was the first of its kind for the School.”