Your Students' Union provides support for more than 1,200 international students from over 120 different countries.

No matter whether you're an international student looking for support or to meet new people and exchange cultures, or a home student wanting to find out how you can support our international community, you can get in touch with your Vice President International (pictured right) and get involved in lots of opportunities with your Students' Union.

Trips, Parties and Events

Throughout the year, your Vice President International runs a variety of trips, events, and parties. 


International FAQs

Q. Where do I pick up my Biometric Resident Permit (BRP) card?

A. Once you arrive in Lincoln, to collect your BRP card, you will need to visit the Post Office with your passport at Sincil Street, LN5 7EJ. You can also find more information about BRP’s here.


Q. How and where do I enrol?

A. You can enrol online once you have received an email from the University which would provide you with various steps to follow. Click here for information.


Q. Where do I get my student card from? 

A. Your student card will be ready once you have completed checks with the Tier4 Compliance team, where you will be informed of where to pick up your ID. This could either be picked at your University managed accommodation or your college/school.


Q. How do I buy food and essentials on arrival if I only have cash?

A. As a member of the Students' Union, you can buy SU credit before arrival which can be used to buy food, drinks and other essentials using the Student Orders app. Buy credit here.


Q. What do I do if I arrive in private accommodation and I am in isolation with no food?

A. Contact [email protected] and [email protected] to inform them of your arrival so you can be supported with a food parcel.


Q. What's a National Insurance Number (NI)?

A. A National Insurance number is required as a system of taxes and social related benefits which would be needed when you are employed. Find out more here.


Q. How do I apply for a National Insurance Number?

A. Simply click here to fill a form with your details to submit an application.


Q. Which bank can I open an account with?

A. There are different banks in Lincoln which can be found on the High street. However HSBC and Nationwide can be accessed online for opening an account.


Q. What do I need to open a bank account?

A. You will need to send an email to [email protected] after enrolment with the name of the bank you want to open an account with, your home & UK address so you can be provided with a letter to present to the bank. Carry along your passport with you to the bank once you have received the bank account opening letter from student support.


Q. Which GP do I register with?

A. There is a GP on campus, but you can find a GP closer to you by entering your post code here.


Q. What is a railcard?

A. A railcard gives you the opportunity to enjoy a certain amount of discount on your travel fares. You would not have to pay the full amount on tickets which can save you lots of money during your time of study.


Q. How do I apply for one?

A. Follow the link here to download a form and fill it in. After filling in this form send it to via email to [email protected].


Q. How do I go about police registration?

A. Some nationality of students will have to register with the police based on information written on your entry visa vignette. Click here for more information on how to register.


Q. How do I apply for jobs?

A. You can look for job opportunities using the UoL Careers & Employability website accessible here, or the Students' Union website here.


Q. How many hours can I work?

A. International students are required to work 20 hours per week during term time. You will have to check in with Student Support to know your term times to ensure you are meeting this requirement.


Q. If I need advice, who do I go to?

A. Your Students' Union has a team of trained professionals who can provide you with impartial and confidential advice. You can book an appointment by emailing them at[email protected].


Q. What happens to my BRP after it expires?

A. If you hold a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) because your leave has expired, or you were issued with a replacement, you must now return it to the Home Office as it's no longer valid. You should cut the card in half and post it in a plain, windowless envelope. If you are returning the BRP from within the UK then please send it to: BRP Returns, P.O. Box 195, Bristol, BS20 1BT. If you are returning the BRP from outside of the UK please send it to: BRP Returns, Home Office, Conference House, Conference Avenue, Portishead Office Park, Portishead, Bristol. BS20 7LZ. You may be subject to a financial penalty of up to £1,000 if you fail to return your old BRP.


Q. How do I access my email account if I can’t access my MFA code?

A. Kindly contact [email protected] to inform them and provide them with your UK mobile number.