Look After Your Health and Wellbeing

The health and mental wellbeing of students is the number one priority for us here at the Students’ Union, so we have compiled this page of places you can seek help for yourself or a friend. 

With the current advice from government being that, everybody in the UK should stay at home or in your student accommodation; other than for certain specific reasons it can all feel very overwhelming.

We understand that many students may have concerns about their academic, financial or housing situation due to changes caused by COVID-19. Some students who have never suffered anxiety or isolation before, may now be experiencing it, so we have put lots of information together to help support your health and wellbeing.

With all this going on, its hard to avoid all constant news and social post noise on different channels; so it’s also important that you know there is professional support available for you if you need it.

The Students’ Union Advice Centre is available to offer independent and impartial advice to you at this time. We are operating 9am – 5pm, Monday - Friday. Contact us on [email protected], send us a message on WhatsApp (+44 )1522 886006 and request a call back, or check out our website here, for loads of helpful advice on mental wellbeing, as well as on finance, housing and academic issues.

Below we have compiled a list of other support services and other specialist agencies which may be also be useful to you:

Student Wellbeing - The university Wellbeing Centre at the university is operating 8.30am-5pm, Monday – Thursday and 8.30am -4.30pm on Fridays. You can access their service by emailing [email protected], calling 01522 886400 and via their social media platforms. Students who are already registered with Student Wellbeing and have an allocated advisor, can also contact their advisor’s contact email. There is also a lot of wellbeing specific advice on their website here.

On-Campus GP Surgery - The on-campus GP surgery is still operating and students are still able to collect prescriptions, but this should be done as infrequently as possible. Prescriptions can be ordered online or over the phone on 01522 870010. For more information see here.

Big White Wall – This is an online service providing advice and support to those with anxeity, depression and other common mental heath issues. To access Big White Wall, click here. 

MINDThis page explains how you can look after your mental health as a student, giving practical suggestions for what you can do and where you can go for support. 

Student Minds – Student Minds is another organisation, who have produced fantastic information about looking after your own and others mental wellbeing, specifically around this difficult time. See their page here.

We know that students will be facing different challenges and issues depending on where they are in their current University journey, along with individual personal circumstances and so may require different types of advice and support at this time. Some of these are addressed under each section below:

Mature Students

If you are aged 21 or over, you are considered to be a “mature student”.
Staying connected with peers can be a significant tool in managing your wellbeing during this time. You can find like-minded mature students to connect with through the Students' Union Sports and Societies or through online volunteering.
As a mature student, the same support services are available to you as are available to all students. Please see guidance on the internal and external support available here. 
We understand that as a mature student, you may experience unique demands and pressures. If you have any concerns about your Student Experience or University work, please contact an Advisor on [email protected] for support.

International Students

As an international student, you are likely to be experiencing unique implications as a result of the governments guidance.
Staying connected with peers can be a significant tool in manging your wellbeing during this time and we understand that it is likely that you are staying in Lincoln for the immediate future. The Students Union International Students Association are running online meetings, please click here for more information or email your Vice President International on [email protected] to ask questions or just to chat. We also understand that you may be experiencing worries surrounding your VISA. We would encourage you to contact the University’s International Advice Service to discuss VISA implications in the first instance on [email protected]

Post Graduate Students

We understand that your student experience as a postgraduate student is unique and there are very different pressures you may experience.
Students Minds have published the Wellbeing Thesis, a resource specifically for postgraduate students. The Wellbeing Thesis focuses on looking after your wellbeing as a postgraduate student and managing this alongside the demands of your research. 
As a postgraduate student, the same support services are available to you as are available to all students. Please see guidance on the internal and external support available here.
We understand that a postgraduate course is significantly different from an undergraduate and you will be working on University work over the summer period. If you have any concerns about your University work, please contact an Advisor on [email protected] for support.

Students with a Disability 

If you have a Learning Support Plan and have any concerns about your Support Plan when working from home, you can access support from your advisor in Student Wellbeing at any point or via the drop-in (they are still offering these via phone appointments, Mon-Fri 12pm-2pm on 01522 886400).

Crisis Support

If you are experiencing distressing or intrusive thoughts (for example about self-harm or suicide) please seek support immediately. You can take the following steps to ensure you a safe:

  • Call 999 to speak to the emergency services and explain to them how you are feeling,
  • Attend the A&E department at your local hospital and explain to them how you are feeling,
  • Call the Samaritans on 116 123 to speak confidentially to a trained advisor. The service operates 24/7, 365 days a year,
  • Attend the University Wellbeing Centre to speak to a trained Advisor during their opening hours (weekdays 9am-5pm),
  • Text SHOUT to 85258. Shout is a 24/7 text service, free on all major mobile networks, for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help.
  • Please click here for more information about how to seek support and keep yourself safe (link to https://studentservices.lincoln.ac.uk/student-in-crisis/concern-for-welfare/)

If you are concerned about a friend please contact Student Wellbeing by phone on 01522 886400 or the SU Advice Centre on [email protected] for support and advice during opening hours (weekdays 9am-5pm). Outside of University opening hours, please contact 999 to report a concern for welfare.

We all need to look after each other and our Look After Your Mate campaign covered some valuable information on spotting signs of mental health concerns and understanding if your friend needs help, you can read the full article here. 

We have created an FAQ’s page on the most common issues students are contacting us about, which you can view here. [link]

*Please note, that due to the Easter break, the SU Advice Centre and the Student Wellbeing Centre will be closed from Friday 9th April – Tuesday 14th April. If yourself or a friend is in crisis, please see the ‘Crisis Support’ information above. Any emails sent to [email protected] will be replied to within 48 hours during this time.